Wednesday, August 29, 2012

New Chapter in Our Lives - Horses!

The beginning of August marked the beginning of a new chapter in our lives. Our first horse boarder (my coworker and friend Miranda) showed up with a Palomino named Boogie. He's a big horse standing at 16.2 hands high. We had to quickly finish up our fence the day before and the day he showed up, but we got it done.



Chris bonding with Boogie. He's a very friendly horse, but we wanted to make sure that he is comfortable with us and we are comfortable with him.


After only 19 days of having a horse, Boogie melted our hearts enough where we were considering having a horse of our own. When Boogie managed to get out of our fence (after a deer knocked our temporary fence down) and run to see the horses down the road, we were given the opportunity to buy a horse of our own. After much pondering, Dos came to our house last Monday.



We shortly renamed her Painted Lady, or Lady for short. She's a Paint horse and these 2 pictures show both sides of her markings. She's 5 & 1/2 years old and 14 hands high. She was broke by the Amish to ride in a saddle or to have her pull a buggy or cart. Although, she hasn't been rode in about 2 years, so we aren't sure exactly what she will do.


On Friday, we went on our first ride with Lady. Miranda rode her while I rode Boogie.

 
She did wonderfully and only had a slight moment of spazing which Miranda managed to stay on during. After our ride...
 

 
I tried my hand at setting her in all her tac and adjusting a new cinch and chest strap I just got on Saturday, and as long as she was in full gear, I decided to give her a ride around the front pasture. That didn't go so well... As soon as I got on she decided to run and make a few circles. Needless to say, I didn't stay on. So, Miranda is going to show me how to lunge her and work out her energy before a ride.
 
 


"Let me out" she says!

No comments:

Post a Comment