Sunday, November 1, 2009

Grand Cayman - Day 2

We woke up on our first full day in Grand Cayman excited to start learning how to Scuba. I went outside to check out how beautiful the day was and saw this Iguana hanging out in a tree off our balcony.




Then, it was off to learn how to SCUBA. Jim, the owner of Seasports, picked us up from our hotel and brought us to a local public beach to do our confined water dives. We then met Kevin, who was our Open Water Diver teacher/Dive Master for the trip. We also met Mel, who was training to be a Dive Master. We went over some basic SCUBA info such as how to set up our gear and the principles of diving before getting geared up and heading out to the shallows.

The first time I was all the way underwater and took a breath, I freaked. I'm not going to lie, I did. So I surfaced, caught my breath, and gave it another try. Let me tell you, it is a different feeling breathing for the first time with SCUBA. But once you get used to it, it's awesome. Kevin taught us a whole bunch of skills that we practiced until we did them right. Luckly, Chris & I must both be fast learners because there were only a few things we had to do more than once.

Once we were done with our confined water dives, we were done with SCUBA for the day, so Jim dropped us back off at our hotel. We relaxed on our balcony for awhile. This is the beautiful view we got to take in everyday. :)


We lunched it at the beachside hotel bar. I had a wonderful tuna salad pita sandwich. Probably the best tuna I've every had. Chris had a bacon cheeseburger. We both of couse indulged in a yummy cocktail.




We both were pretty tired after our morning lesson (which included a 200 yard swim right away) and Chris decided to take a nap in our hotel while I decided to chill/nap on the beach. This is the view looking south towards George Town where the Cruise ships dock.


This is looking north towards West Bay.


That night we decided to head across the street to Deckers for Supper. It is named because of the double decker bus that is used as the bar.


I had the mixed grill, which was steak, chicken and mahi mahi (dolphin fish) on a bed of rosotto with wine sauce. It was delicious. Chris tried the calamari (which is squid). It was actually pretty good. The only wierd thing about it was the texture, it was a little chewy compared to most meats.
As you can tell, we got just a wee bit of sun during our SCUBA lesson that day. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment