Thursday, November 5, 2009

Grand Cayman - Day 3

Warning! Picture Heavy!

This was our first day of doing our Open Water Dives. So, really it was our first day of diving. Period. I woke up very very very nervous. And the closer it got for them to pick us up, the more nervous I got. I thought I was going to throw up.

Jim, Kevin, and Mel were all really suppotive of my nerves, and I knew if I didn't get in the water and give diving a try, I would never let myself forget it.

So, Kevin went over the dive, we suited/geared up and I flopped backwards into the water. We started our decent and I was THRILLED. It was an amazing feeling and the butterflies were gone! Yay!

Our first ever dive was Marty's Wall off the west coast of Grand Cayman.

This is me on the bottom about 40 some feet down (our shallowest dive of the trip). You can see the reef behind me. It was so beautiful down there!


Here is Chris on his first dive ever.


Both of us diving Marty's Wall.



There were also a couple of more experienced divers on this dive with us. They dove further down the wall and took some amazing photos like this one. This is a sea anemone and a brain coral in the background.



Kevin was really good at pointing out things on the reef to us. He had a keen eye for sea life as well. Here he is showing something in this coral to Chris.



We were only able to stay down about 30 minutes on our tank of air. We then began our ascent including 3 minute safety stop. The more experience you have diving, the more efficent you become at using air and the longer you can stay down.

After we had an appropriate surface interval, we drove to another spot on the reef to do our second dive. This time we practiced more of our skills underwater.

This is me diving Governer's Reef.


A sea turtle swam right by us, so we followed him for awhile to take some pictures and observe what he was doing. He was just a little turtle. In this picture you can see the yellow fire coral, which stings kinda like a jelly fish if you touch it. Ouch.



Kevin & Chris with the turtle.


Me swimming along with the turtle.


After our dives, we headed into George Town to get some souviners for people.

Once we got back to our hotel, we were both exhausted. I relaxed by enjoying the view from our balcony. Have I mentioned yet how much I love the warm weather in Grand Cayman? Well I do!



Oh, and I got to enjoy a DELICIOUS Strongbow while soaking up the sun!

For supper we went to Hemmingway's. They are located right on our hotel property and on the beach. I had the catch of the day (mahi mahi) which was delicious!!! Chris enjoyed the rack of lamb and sticky toffee pudding for dessert.

No comments:

Post a Comment